For some reasons the victims of workplace sexual harassment are mostly subordinate staff, a larger percentage of reported cases of sexual harassments are committed by bosses against those under them on whom they have some level of control. The question here is how I can stop your randy boss from sexually harassing you.
- Be sensitive and know when your boss’s actions, words and behaviour are becoming sexual in nature. Most of the victims of sexual harassment would tell you that their harassers usually adopt two methods, namely, benevolent act of goodwill and through intimidation in which the victim is made to believe that he or she owns his or her employment to the boss. Study your boss well and decide right from the onset to stop advances that are unhealthy, do not tolerate such action or statement, raise your objection in a polite manner almost immediately that it is noticed.
- Intelligent Exposure. It has been noticed that sexual harassers would like to keep things under wrap when they realized that other colleagues or staff in the organizations are aware they tend to desist. When your boss is making unwelcome passes at you, bring it to the knowledge of your colleagues and ensure that you always hang around a trusted colleague in the office. Avoid being alone with your boss.
- Intentional and planned confrontation. Sometimes it is important to confront your harasser and let him or her know that you are not comfortable with the attention that is giving to you and that such behaviour is affecting your job and ability to remain focused.
- Turn your computer monitor outward if unwelcome messages are sent via email or social media platform. You can deliberately leave your system on for others to see. The thought that other people would read your message will scare your randy boss.
- If all this fails, lodge a formal complaint with HR and follow up on this by escalating the issue to a higher authority.
- However, if it is the company CEO that is making the overture at you, you can approach right advocacy group and possible resign from the job. But before doing that, lodge formal complaint and if you can file a lawsuit, you will be helping other people and letting your boss know that it is not right.
The implications of workplace sexual harassment are enormous, its effects the dignity of the workers, it negatively impacts productivity and promotes vices such as the objectification of the opposite sex for personal and selfish pleasure. It also promotes and the act of retaliation in which the victims are denied their entitlements and other benefits.
Beyond the problems, efforts have been made to define sexual harassment and place it within the context of national laws and at the sometimes proffer solutions on how it can be prevented by the organization as well as the workers.
I want to believe that this will help stimulates further discussions and sensitize both the employer and employees to the implications for sexual harassment at workplace.
Thank you for being part of this.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.